Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lots of Nice New Snow

Yesterday and today it snowed all day, leaving a lovely six inches of powder so far. The forecast is for a total accumulation of 8-12 inches by the end of tomorrow.

I was able to ski for an hour today though it was almost too warm, just under 30 degrees F. Again because I am so out of shape I skied from Brown Mountain Gatehouse (Signpost 18) to the Hadlock Brook Bridge (halfway toward Signpost 13) and back, about 2 miles.

My waxless skis usually stick to the snow when it's warmer than 27 degrees and I had to remove my skis a couple of times to scrape off the snow. Once when the AWTA volunteer was coming by on the snowmobile I had to stand off to the side in the deep snow to get out of his way, and then I was stuck again and had to remove the skis and scrape them off, then unclog the snow from the clip on my boots, etc. But I'm not complaining! The AWTA is doing a heckuva job this year.

In short, it was warm, snowing, I was getting stuck a little, but the cross-country skiing in Acadia today was as lovely as ever.

There must be a better technique for getting the snow unstuck from the bottom of your waxless skis. I have tried the Swix wax for waxless skis and it only works for a few minutes, so hasn't been a good solution, not for me anyway. Here's an article I found at Cross Country Skier that might help. http://www.crosscountryskier.com/kick_and_glide_nov_2003.html

I have the Swix base cleaner so I will see if cleaning the base helps. Enjoy the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment