Friday, January 23, 2009

Skiing Hadlock Loop



1/22/09 – Today was overcast and about 20 degrees, with about a foot and a half of snow still on the ground and reports that the trails had been groomed on the 20th. I decided to ski the Hadlock Loop and got out early so it wouldn’t get too warm for my skis. I started out from Brown Mountain Gatehouse at 8:45. Conditions couldn’t have been more perfect. Grooming was very good and pitting was at a minimum. It took me only 15 mins to get to Hadlock Brook Bridge. I saw a skier, male, 50-ish, who gave me a warm Good Morning, beautiful day, etc. Saw another older fella as I was climbing up the last big hill. He was wearing a Jester’s hat and skiing as slowly and laboriously as I do. I snapped some scenic photos at the top of the climb, Checkpoint 12.

It was heaven from that point on. I got a spectacular photo of what I have now decided to call the Palisades, which is the first open ridge on that downhill where the water freezes in huge clumps and turns an incredible shade of light blue. I was able to pretty much float in the machine-made tracks all the way down. I met a nice lady who agreed that it was a beautiful day.

I did work a little on my technique, having read that big arm swings are part of the correct diagonal stride style. That did seem to help with lengthening my stride and getting the back foot off the ground and the knees bent. A wonderful ski!

No comments:

Post a Comment